Assignments are brought to you by mpb.com
During a recent trip to South Carolina, I had an opportunity to visit Hunting Island State park which is also known as the "Boneyard" because of the numerous downed trees along the beach. Hurricanes have hammered the area over the years uprooting trees and changing the look of the coastline.
During high tide, these trees become partially submerged and provide endless composition options for photographers seeking a unique photo opportunity. After hiking the 3/4 mile path through a "Jurassic Park" like forest, I arrived at the beach about an hour before sunrise. The tide was still coming in, and the rolling waves created some very interesting patterns in the sand adding to the overall scene.
I was shooting the soft colors of pre-dawn but decided this view would look great as a black and white image as well. This image was shot with the Nikon d850 body and Sigma 24-105mm lens. I positioned my tripod just inside the area where the highest waves were reaching. I waited to fire the shutter until the waves receded leaving the ridges in the sand. It was worth the wait, even though the no-see-ums had found me by that time! Those pesky little insects made it a fight to stay focused long enough to capture what was I was after that morning, but I stuck it out and was fortunate to witness a glorious sunrise.
If you have an opportunity to visit Hunting Island State Park, you definitely don't want to pass it up. If you make the effort to get to the beach in time to see the sunrise, you will not be disappointed! Be sure to allow enough time to explore the beach and the surrounding wetlands where you can see many varieties of animal and plant life.
Our $200 prizes consist of $100 cash and $100 mpb.com voucher
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor