We didn't have a lot of snow in the city at this point, and everyone was waiting for that great snowstorm of the year... There it was finally, in early February!
I don't know if it was because of the pandemic, but I never saw that many people practicing all sorts of winter sports that day. Even snowboarders on Mount Royal (which, if you've been to Montreal, you’d know, is more like a hill than a mountain)… But that didn’t stop them. There were lots of grown-ups doing snowman everywhere, like if it was the first time they'd seen snow... I couldn't pass up this opportunity to get this on camera!
I think I started to appreciate the winter season about the same time that I got into photography. This is what pushes me to get outside when it’s -20 degrees Celcius and snowing, even if it's only to get this one image that I would be proud of.
That day, I wanted to practice taking pictures when it's snowing and to experiment a little so I went out, snowshoes on, camera in the backpack. I ended up with these photographs where it looks like I'm in the middle of a field when in reality, I'm right next to the city center and would get a view of the skyline from that same spot on a normal day! No traffic sounds, only the wind. Everything else seemed to be absorbed by the snow.
This is why I love taking pictures when the weather is "bad". It can transform a place into something completely new and can make you see it in a different way to rediscover it again and again.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your Personal Portfolio Page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor