TAKE PART • WIN $100
I explore Glen Canyon every Spring and Autumn for the last 8 years. The geologic variety and beauty of it is astounding. Each tributary to the Colorado River contributes with its own big or small canyon. My kayak or motorboat are my preferred means of locomotion throughout Lake Powell. Once yearly I use a houseboat to conduct a workshop on the lake.
The great variation in water levels of Lake Powell provide each trip a very different landscape. The highest water level in these past 8 years was at 3660 feet, while the lowest is at the moment with 3560 feet. The amplitude of 100 feet up and down provides an incredible variety of compositions. Images of any location cannot be repeated. Each trip requires complete attention to explore a known and yet different landscape.
Last trip I devoted my attention to the area historically known as the famous crossing of the Colorado River for the Dominguez and Escalante Party in November 1776. With the water levels of the Lake Powell being low the landscape starts to resemble somewhat back when these two padres searched for a crossing of the Colorado River.
I stayed a total of 7 days on the lake. Strong winds, heat and an unforgiving sun makes this a challenge. Moments of photography were reserved for sunrise and sunset moments. During the day a hat and thick layer of sun screen provided protection to explore the landscape in search of captivating compositions. Present image required two days of waiting for the right light conditions. The processing of the captured moment at home continued to have its challenges. The final image is a result of 4 stacked photographs to ensure a perfect sharpness throughout the entire frame.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor