TAKE PART • WIN $100
With the Covid-19 pandemic restrictions in the UK, Britain was in a state of lockdown and only essential travel and local exercise was permitted so I was limited to walks from my home. Fortunately, I live on the western edge of the Peak District National Park, surrounded by beautiful countryside.
Snow is a regular occurrence in these parts during the winter and this year was no exception. Taking my camera with me at all times I went for walks every day, the greatest challenge being deciding which of the many routes that emanate from the village of Rainow to choose. On this particular day the moisture in the air had condensed as hill fog on the snow-covered hills so I took a walk along a valley floor. Somehow, I just had a hunch that the fog might break so I decided to head up to these dead trees that I had noticed previously but never photographed before. It was quite a climb in the snow to get to this location and, as I arrived, the sun just started to appear. The light and atmosphere that it created was simply ethereal. I had to work fast, within a few minutes the fog had burnt away to the extent that the strength of the sun was too great and the whole mood that I was seeking had gone.
I love the tones in this image with the underexposure enhancing the blues yet there is a spectrum of subtle warm colours near the sun as the light is diffracted through the fine droplets of the fog. For me, it creates a chilling and somewhat haunting feel to the image.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your Personal Portfolio Page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor