Assignments are brought to you by mpb.com
Dramatic clouds and water are always one of my favorite subjects to photograph and this morning was no exception. This image was taken near Avon, North Carolina which is located in the Outer Banks along the east coast of the United States. It was winter, so the beaches were deserted and the dunes were windswept giving it a different mood and setting.
I awoke before sunrise and drove to this location. The sky was dramatic and I was busy photographing the Avon Fishing Pier when I noticed the unusual glowing light. I turned around and looked behind me and saw the warm colors of the rising sun starting to illuminate the clouds. I quickly reoriented my tripod and starting taking some images of the beach looking to the north.
I wanted to include the ocean and surf in the composition so I moved closer to the water while keeping an awareness of the incoming waves. It was January and the water was cold, so I did my best to avoid getting wet. Several times, I had to grab my tripod and scramble from the breaking waves and rushing water, but it was worth it.
This experience reminded me of the importance of looking behind you to make sure you are not missing a great shot. I had been so busy taking photos of the pier and rising sun that I almost missed these dramatic clouds over the beach and dunes.
I left the Outer Banks knowing that winter can be a great time for photography.
Our $200 prizes consist of $100 cash and $100 mpb.com voucher
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor