TAKE PART • WIN $100
Warm colors often blend with high key images since we associate those colors with brightness. Thus, an autumn image from the eastern United States seems appropriate for this type of imagery. Great Smoky Mountains National Park is a good place to sample this type of subject. The national park overlaps North Carolina and Tennessee and there are many locations which display the deciduous forests that can be so colorful.
I do not have a specific suggestion on the exact subject you choose, but the presence of a dense leaf cover on the tree and ground would be desired. The best time of year would be October and online searches can suggest a more precise time. There are an almost infinite number of locations that you could choose for your work. My usual idea is to approach from North Carolina and start driving roads and planning when to actually do the photography. The Tennessee side of the mountain has many good opportunities also, and there are many other locations outside of the national park to consider for some photography. The main issue will be driving and hiking trails during the day in order to determine where to spend time at sunrise and sunset. Keep in mind that unlike some places, you may not want to photograph exactly at first light or last light since that would be too dark for your intended image. In a heavy forest you may have to utilize a higher sun angle to get the refection from a lot of colored leaves.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor