Assignments are brought to you by mpb.com
As a landscape and travel photographer enthusiast, the travel restrictions that characterized the last year and a half forced me to reinvent my photography and I began shooting in places close to home, too often overlooked. It was surprisingly difficult to shoot in locations I knew so well, but it has also been extremely satisfying.
This photo is taken in a nature park located in Lyngby, a small town close to Copenhagen. I saw this lonely tree on the small island in the lake while running nearby and I decided it would have been a perfect subject for a sunrise shot. It was one of the first cold autumn mornings in Denmark, with the early sunrise mist appearing around the small lakes in the region. Luckily enough it was also a completely wind still day, very unusual for this part of the world.
This particular weather created perfect reflections of the sky and the tree on the surface of the lake. The conditions were perfect, I only had to place my tripod and release the shutter. I opted for f/11 (sharpest aperture for my lens), ISO of 100 (no need to go higher when using the tripod) and shutter speed of 3.2s. Not many adjustments were needed in post-production. I only had to recover some details in the sky and on the small island. The result is one of my all- time favorite pictures.
For once I felt I had been able to translate into a photo what I saw that morning behind the camera and the atmosphere I breathed during that cold morning.
Our $200 prizes consist of $100 cash and $100 mpb.com voucher
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor