Assignments are brought to you by mpb.com
I’ve endeavoured to photograph many red poppy fields in the past but had never seen the pink variety. I planned a couple of nights away in Dorset to look for the mass of Opium poppies that grow there and bloom at the end of June. They are cultivated by farmers and harvested by a pharmaceutical company to produce pain-relieving drugs, such as codeine and morphine. On arrival to the location I was greeted with a spectacular vista of acres of pink farmland. That day I worked hard to explore the area and took a few daytime images in cloudy conditions. The rain had set in for the evening so I decided to chill out and eat in a restaurant rather than grab a snack and rush for a sunset.
It was still wet outside as I was driving back from the restaurant to the accommodation and noticed a hint of pink in the grey sky. With only 15 minutes until sundown I made a spontaneous decision to head for the pink poppy fields watching the sky gradually changing colour. It started to glow with a display of graduated shades of orange, magenta and blue. After parking the car in a lay-by I leapt out of the car like a man possessed looking at the sun position. I quickly set up my gear and headed into the edge of the field through a gateway. “Oh my goodness”; It was absolutely gorgeous with the colours complimenting the pinkness of the poppies. It was raining but I managed a few photos before the vibrancy started to fade into wonderful graduated pastels tones. I chose f/18 to maintain sharpness throughout the scene. I never expected that! I was one of the lucky ones to capture the unexpected sunset which are usually the best ones!
Our $200 prizes consist of $100 cash and $100 mpb.com voucher
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor