TAKE PART • WIN $100
We had been exploring the outback desert regions of New South Wales and were travelling south from a place called ‘Cameron’s Corner’; this is where the three States meet (New South Wales, Queensland and South Australia). We passed Broken Hill; a famous mining town and onto Menindee Lakes where we experienced this beautiful sunset. Menindee Lakes is a series of lakes along the Darling River of which Pamamaroo Lake is one of the four main, larger lakes that supply water to domestic and mining needs of Broken Hill and irrigation for farms and orchards producing crops.
Apart from the beautiful scenery and wildlife on Pamamaroo Lake, it also has an interesting history. In 1851 gold was discovered in Australia and the goldrush started moving people around, but Australia at that time was mostly unexplored and unknown to the European settlers. Therefore, in 1860 the Victorian Government organised an expedition to cross the continent from Melbourne in the south to the Gulf of Carpentaria in the north; a distance of 3,250 kilometres. The party of 19 men of various nationalities, 25 camels, 22 horses and wagons was led by Robert O’Hara Burke and William Wills and became known as the Burke and Wills expedition. It took them two months to reach Menindee Lakes, right here in the area where we were staying. Here they made a base camp and then travelled on, finally reaching the Gulf of Carpentaria and achieving the goal of being the first men to cross Australia from south to north. Sadly, Burke and Wills died at Coopers Creek on their return journey back to Melbourne. We enjoyed exploring this area and its colourful history and of course the amazing sunsets.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor