TAKE PART • WIN $100
The last rays of late afternoon sun cast ribbons of shadow and light onto Monte Antelao, a prominent peak in the Dolomite mountain range in northern Italy. Earlier on this day I spent the day hiking higher up on Falzarego pass, photographing into the late afternoon. After a great afternoon of hiking and shooting, the low sun had disappeared behind a heavy cloud bank, so I started the drive back down the mountain passes. As I rounded a corner, I started to see beams of sunlight coming through the trees, and I knew right away I was going to get some sort of lightshow at any moment. I found the next safe pulloff on the side of the road, grabbed my tripod and scurried down a path to a clearing that afforded a great view of Mount Antelao. I waited as the sunlight made it's way through the parting cloud cover and lit up the peaks. Never had I seen such stark painted lines of shadow and light on a peak like this one, and it was a thrill to be there to make a few images of the scene.
As many landscape photographers quickly discover, when photographing landscapes and it looks like clouds have overtaken the sun for the evening, we just wait & watch. The moments before the sun disappears below the horizon can often yield a few moments of glorious light. That was definitely the case here, and I fortunate to be able to see such fantastic light to photograph.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your Personal Portfolio Page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor