This photo was made in the Pego das Pias location, near Odemira, in the Alentejo province of Portugal. The small Torgal river runs through the area, but it is normally dry during most of the year. I had the chance to visit recently, after some rainfall. The combination of water plus springtime completely changed the place, bringing to life lush vegetation. I had visited this location several times before, but this was the first time there was running water in the riverbed. After parking the car, it is only a short walk until the river, along a dirt trail that parallels the river. The whole area is very quiet, as it is far from any village, so after a while I started to hear the water.
The conditions were perfect for photography inside the woods, thanks to the overcast sky, which reduced the contrast range, by acting as a large soft box. I managed to walk along side the riverbed and made several photos. This one is one of my favourites from this session, as I think it conveys the peaceful character of the place, depicting the reflections in the water. The only sounds were coming from the wind rustling the trees, and the birds singing.
I had to place tripod legs on the water and chose a short telephoto lens to frame the river, its banks, and the reflections in the water. I made several photos with different shutter speeds, checking the effect in the water, ending up selecting this one because the reflections were clearer.
Our $200 prizes consist of $100 cash and $100 mpb.com voucher
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor