TAKE PART • WIN $100
After yet another week of home office I knew I had to get out and get some air (and light). As it was below - 10°C I knew that it would end up being a short shoot if I didn’t dress up very warmly. I'm fortunate to live a 10 min car drive from one of Bavaria's most photographed lakes, the Ammersee. The northern end is just off the Autobahn connecting Munich to Lindau on Lake Constance and thanks to the old wooden boathouses and jetties there are a number of “classic shots”, the 'tog's equivalent of a golfer's gimme.
Despite the freezing temperatures and shallow water the lake didn't start freezing until a couple of days after I took this shot. After hacking some poorly composed shots of one of my favourite jetties I started heading back to the car, taking me past this row of old boathouses that I must have taken dozens of times over the years. They catch the light of the setting sun quite nicely, but this image in the blue hour still required exposure bracketing to allow enough light on the wooden structures. Putting the camera low on the tripod to catch the tiny inlet caused by a stream running into the lake let me capture this 5 s exposure just before the stars started appearing.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your Personal Portfolio Page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor