TAKE PART • WIN $100
I had seen some awesome photos on social media of the barn at Sixpenny Handley so I had to take a look for myself. This being my first visit I wasn’t sure what to expect. I knew it was in a barley field that year so was looking forward to finding a unique composition which was going to be near impossible. This famous barn has been photographed by hundreds from all angles, all times of the day and in all seasons.
It was late July and amazing to see acres of Dorset farmland. I spotted the silver metal roof from the road and disappointingly realised the barley had been harvested. I’m guessing it was done a day or two before because I had seen a photo online. After working out where to park safely I entered the gate way into the vast field. I was expecting more photographers but I’m guessing they were deterred with no barley crop there.
After walking around the field for 20 minutes circling the structure it became obvious what I wanted to photograph.
The freshly cut lines from the recent harvesting lead you straight to the barn. My faithful Canon 5D mkii and wide angle 16-35 f/4 L series lens combination were perfect for this scene. The midday light was quite harsh so the Lee circular polariser was fitted to enhance the colours. I like to use mirror-lock on the shutter for such a still scene to avoid any possible movement of the camera on the tripod. This was a shot I didn’t expect to take but very pleased how it turned out.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your Personal Portfolio Page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor