A stone’s throw away from where I live there is a small river winding its way through a forest. It’s called La Menthue and is, by any standard, not a very significant river, of no major touristic importance and offering no scenes that would deserve to be called spectacular. But it is close to where I live, and I have spent many hours photographing it and the surrounding forest, increasingly discovering and appreciating the quiet and almost timid beauty it offers.
Last fall I started wondering where this river actually came from and looked it up on a detailed map. I so realized that it is only about 30 km long in total. I developed the idea of a project photographing it from beginning to end. There is no spot further away from my house than a 20 minute drive, so I can go there whenever I want. It also is right in line with my philosophy to shoot predominantly very local.
I took this picture in spring, and I like the vibrant green colors that are so typical of that season. I look forward to further discovering this river and its hidden beauty and to photographing it in different seasons and circumstances.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your Personal Portfolio Page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor