TAKE PART • WIN $100
I have been to visit Hocking Hills State Park near Logan, Ohio several times. So far, these visits had always been between spring and fall. There are multiple caves, small canyons, and waterfalls in the area. I had heard that it was also a very nice winter destination, and so my wife and I planned to try that out during the second week of February. We had made a booking for a cabin several weeks in advance, and at that time, the forecast was for not so wintery weather, well above freezing. As we got closer however, the forecast changed and it was going to be much colder: below freezing nearly all the time, which is much better for ice formations, of course.
We arrived on a Sunday afternoon, and settled into our cabin. There are several, separated areas that make up the park, and we visited a couple of them each day. On Tuesday, we went to Conkles Hollow, one of the small canyons cut into the regional sandstone.
We took the central trail, and I was looking for ice formations along the canyon walls. I didn't see very much of that until we got to the very end of the trail at the head of the canyon. I knew that there was a small waterfall there, but I had forgotten that there was a recess off to the side as well. The ice coming down from the ceiling and edge of the recess was amazing, and you can also see the frozen waterfall at the back of the scene, just left of center.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor