Storm on the Belle-ile-en-Mer. Exciting cliffs. Wide view of the Atlantic. Evening atmosphere. Changing light. Wonderful mood. All these were the conditions on this evening when I came to this spot. To capture the dynamics I mounted a 1000 ND filter in front of the lens to capture the dynamic mood with an exposure time of 35 seconds. The biggest challenge was to fix the tripod in such a way that it didn't start vibrating and blur the shot. That's why I decided to use the heavy 6kg Gitzo Giant tripod, despite the long walk - and got really sharp photos.
I was in late October on the largest Breton island, Belle-Ile-en-Mer, which Claude Monet fell in love with and which inspired him to create 39 of his masterpieces. The island is located in the Bay of Morbihan, 45 minutes by ferry from the mainland. Here the Atlantic Ocean crashes with full force and beauty on the island, which is climatically favored by the Gulf Stream. Frequently changing moods and weather conditions make it a dream destination for landscape photographers. The change from storms with up to 90 km/h (56 mp/h) to summer temperatures within a very short time at the end of October is not uncommon - and thus offers varied moods.
This photo was taken on the wild southern coast of the island, overlooking the open Atlantic Ocean, during my stay in late October. Along the entire coast there is a beautiful hiking trail where you can really feel the landscape. In some places you can climb down the cliff to discover wonderful viewpoints. The island and the photo spots can be explored very well on foot. Especially exciting are the frequent weather changes and light moods, which are a paradise for photographers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Download all new issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all back issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all new issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download all back issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Create your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• Your pictures stay attached to your Personal Portfolio Page forever
• We promote all your uploaded pictures to over 300,000 members and followers
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share your published pictures with over 300,000 members and followers.
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor