TAKE PART • WIN $100
This image from White Sands National Park was taken in late November on a cold, but very sunny, morning. I was hiking for the first time through the endless expanse of rolling white sand and noticed this one desert plant standing alone amongst the rolling dunes. I used my telephoto lens to compress the scene to give the plant a feeling of isolation amongst the dunes. The mountains in the background give a sense of the enormity of the park. The plant also is the only thing in the scene with nearly any color whatsoever, as the entire scene only has a hint of blue from the sky overhead.
The weather was very cold and the light was just about at the end of golden hour after sunrise. Unfortunately, the park did not open until after sunrise, so it was the best light I had available to work with. The glowing red clouds from earlier would have been an amazing element to add to this composition, however I've grown to like the clear skies and extreme brightness of the white sand.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your personal portfolio page and let us share it monthly to over 400,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your personal portfolio page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 400,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download 2 premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 48 images per year via our monthly assignments
• Upload and share up to 24 images per year via our picture submission form
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 24 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor