When I woke up and looked outside my bedroom window there was a cloudy sky but unfortunately no fog. The weather forecast predicted fog in the morning. I knew that the circumstances outside my hometown in the fields are often quite different. And that was also the case today. After a 10 minute drive I saw there was thick fog "floating" over the fields. The visibility at some spots was about 50 meters.
I drove to the "Vlietlanden". A low moorland between the cities of Delft, Rotterdam and The Hague. Vlietlanden is a Nature reserve. It is only accessible by boat but that’s forbidden now (Vlietlanden means “land with watercourses” in old-fashioned Dutch).
I visited this spot several times but never had the right weather circumstances. But today I was lucky. I wanted to shoot reed with some trees peeping out of the fog.
When I reached my spot the sun came out through the clouds. That was what’s made it magical for me. I exposed to the right which gave me the mood that I wanted. Looking at the histogram I saw that everything was between the right spots. I shot with a prime lens (Sigma 50mm 1.4.Art) at F11 for 8 sec.
Water, reed with some trees are great for minimalistic landscape photography.
I want to come back there in wintertime when there is ice and fog. But every season is beautiful at the "Vlietlanden".
Besides landscape photography it is also a good spot for bird photography as well.
It is my persuasion that you can shoot beautiful scapes everywhere when you have the right weather circumstances. Just have patience and a good preparation.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your personal portfolio page and let us share it monthly to over 400,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your personal portfolio page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 400,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download 2 premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 48 images per year via our monthly assignments
• Upload and share up to 24 images per year via our picture submission form
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 24 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor