TAKE PART • WIN $100
This first light picture was taken at about 2900 meters above see level, before we departed to ascent Grossvenediger in Austrian Alps. The day before we completed long car drive from Prague as well 5 hours ascent to the mountain hut, becoming our base camp.
Apart from the summit, my goal is always to take good pictures too. Therefore I got out to the hut surroundings about 30 minutes earlier than the rest of my friends. Weather forecast was really promising, but when I got out, I realized, that unfortunately ”too clear”. There were absolutely no clouds in sky and as I wasn´t high enough to catch rising sun over the horizon itself, I concentrated on wide-angle pictures of nearby glaciers turning pink and then burning orange.
Suddenly I realized small clouds rolling over the rocks in very far distance. It was more remains of humidity fog than clouds as such. They were situated exactly on the place, where the rays of rising sun penetrated the mountain ridge and lightened them, keeping the rest of the landscape still in the shadows.
I didn´t hesitate a second, rushed to my bag for telephoto a made several pictures (200mm this one). This scene lasted about 1 minute maximum, than the clouds penetrated a bit and the rest of rays disappeared in the haze until the sun overcame the horizon completely. For once I had a great luck being at right time in right place with appropriate equipment. Telephoto is my very favourite for landscape photography anyway, especially in the mountains!
This pictured healed my “broken heart” from unsuccessful ascent to the summit and made the whole trip worth it.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your personal portfolio page and let us share it monthly to over 400,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your personal portfolio page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 400,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download 2 premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 48 images per year via our monthly assignments
• Upload and share up to 24 images per year via our picture submission form
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 24 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor