TAKE PART • WIN $100
Southern Arizona is a great destination for landscape shots and showcases a diversity of desert lands beyond the classic Sonoran scenes with saguaros. The sunrises and sunsets are incredible (even by Arizona standards) and the area is far enough off the beaten track that you can have mountains all to yourself. I was recently there for a couple of weeks and got to do some early morning exploring with my dog. We were staying nearby and the trail network of the preserve was perfect for our morning walks. This shot is from the Sonoita Creek State Natural Area near Patagonia Lake on a cold winter morning. The Sonoita Creek trail cuts through the native ocotillos and mesquites, winding its way over the rolling hills while remnants of the morning colors linger on the horizon.
We came back to this trail multiple times and each visit highlighted a different element of the landscape. I was drawn to this particular shot since I thought it highlighted all of the area’s features in a balanced way. The land isn’t exactly inviting, yet there’s a certain calm and peacefulness to the scene that was appealing to capture. I like the shapes of the hills and vegetation and the tone of the sky. I also was struck by the subdued winter colors and can imagine how the same scene would look very different in the spring with the desert in bloom. Finally, the line of the trail helps lead the eye through the image and tie everything together.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your personal portfolio page and let us share it monthly to over 400,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your personal portfolio page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 400,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download 2 premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 48 images per year via our monthly assignments
• Upload and share up to 24 images per year via our picture submission form
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 24 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor