Many times I have been to Iceland on several occasions. The landscape and the light continuously changes which makes each visit a different adventure. I prefer to visit the island during autumn and winter as during those seasons we get an extended golden hour and landscape photographers can enjoy longer periods of beautiful warm light. Of course, one should not be afraid of having to cope with sometimes extreme weather conditions. However, as a bonus and with a bit of luck one can sometimes enjoy the spectacular northern lights.
One of my favourite places on the island is the peninsula of Snaefellsnes which offers some of the islands most extraordinary scenery. This picture has been taken during a snow blizzard on the peninsula. It was very cold that day and the visibility for driving in this weather was very limited. The roads were slippery. However, even then interesting pictures can be taken. While driving I saw this church appearing through the snow. I stopped the car and mounted my 70mm-200mm lens. The storm didn’t permit to setup a tripod and I had to take the picture at the maximum aperture (f/2.8) of my lens in order to have an exposure which could still yield a picture without motion blur. For these kind of situations, image stabilisation is a godsent feature. I had to take shelter behind the car in order to minimise my movement due the gusts of wind which were shaking me.
The scenery itself, due to the snow was a high key image by itself. I didn’t have to reduce the color saturation nor its contrast. Fog and snow can yield high key images without too much tweaking in post-processing.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your personal portfolio page and let us share it monthly to over 400,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your personal portfolio page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 400,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download 2 premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 48 images per year via our monthly assignments
• Upload and share up to 24 images per year via our picture submission form
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 24 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor