TAKE PART • WIN $100
I have visited the Page AZ area numerous times to photograph the desert and slot canyons. Each trip of course I have to visit Horseshoe Bend for a sunset or two.
This shot was taken on my second or third trip to the area and I already had good shots of all of the more obvious compositions. On this night I sought out a more unique perspective from the overlook, incorporating the river as well as the sunset. I knew I had lucked out when the few clouds hung around for sunset as typically the skies are clear and blank, providing little interest.
Walking away from the crowds that had formed at the apex of the rivers bend, I found this cap in the rock that lined up nicely with the direction of the setting sun and clouds. I used by Graduated Neutral Density filters to hold back the light in the sky so I could achieve a balanced exposure with the darker foreground and lighter sky, not losing any details in the highlights or shadows.
Being in this beautiful location was rewarding enough, but o come home with a new perspective on this was fantastic.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your personal portfolio page and let us share it monthly to over 400,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your personal portfolio page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 400,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download 2 premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 48 images per year via our monthly assignments
• Upload and share up to 24 images per year via our picture submission form
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 24 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor