Zhrebchevo is a dam on the Tundzha River, Bulgaria. Its name comes from the village of Zhrebchevo at the bottom. It is located in a beautiful mountainous area.Its area extends from the towns of Nikolaevo and Gurkovo, and the village of Panicherevo (Stara Zagora District), through the Municipality of Tvarditsa to the villages of Banya and Asenovets in the Municipality of Nova Zagora (Sliven District).
It is named after the village of Zhrebchevo, which was immersed in it in 1965. Its construction began in 1964 and ended in 1969, when it was put into operation. The former villages of Zapalnya and Dolno Panicherevo are also in the cup of the dam.
Located on an area of 25 km2, Zhrebchevo is the fourth largest dam in Bulgaria, after Mandra, Iskar and Studen Kladenets.
The dam has many arms with convenient fishing spots. As the water from the dam is used for irrigation, in the summer it is drained significantly, which determines the seasonal nature of fishing (perch, redfish, catfish). Pike are also found at the mouth of the dam on the Tundzha River.
Remains of a Roman fortress have been discovered next to the dam of the dam.
At its northeastern end is the sunken church of St. "Ivan Rilski", which is the only remnant of the village of Zapalnya."St. Ivan Rilski", also called the Submerged Church, is a church in the village of Zapalnya which was submerged in 1965 during the construction of the Zhrebchevo dam. The church is the only remnant of the village. The church was named after the Bulgarian saint Ivan Rilski.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your personal portfolio page and let us share it monthly to over 400,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your personal portfolio page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 400,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download 2 premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 48 images per year via our monthly assignments
• Upload and share up to 24 images per year via our picture submission form
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 24 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor