After spending nearly three weeks in Norway and almost giving up in seeing the ever elusive Northern Lights for the first time in my life, the prediction I was waiting for came one day within days of when I was going to depart Norway.
I walked down to Skagsanden Beach at midnight with all my gear and all bundled up for the freezing cold in anticipation of the predicted ideal conditions for the Aurora Borealis. I settled in on the beach in 0° Fahrenheit cold. I was prepared to wait for hours if need be to have once last chance to catch a glimpse of the beauty of the Northern sky phenomenon.
As I was sitting there with my camera poised towards the sky anticipating a long cold wait, an awe-striking vision suddenly materialized before me...the Aurora Borealis - a light show unmatched by any I have ever seen in my life.
I was so "moved" to tears by what I saw revealed above me...a sight I have seen thousands of times in pictures but never in person. I was so overtaken by emotion and awe, that I nearly forgot to start taking pictures.
I spent the next 20 minutes clicking away trying to capturing every beautiful wave of movement of the Aurora Borealis with the hopes that at least one of the images I was capturing; just one was all I hoped for, would reflect the awe-inspiring beauty that lay before me.
As the Aurora Borealis faded away as a mirage does in the desert, I packed up my gear and headed back to my accommodations, where I would "thaw out" as someone who has achieved his life-long dream of witnessing the Aurora Borealis up close and personal...I felt truly blessed.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your personal portfolio page and let us share it monthly to over 400,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your personal portfolio page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 400,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download 2 premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 48 images per year via our monthly assignments
• Upload and share up to 24 images per year via our picture submission form
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 24 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor