TAKE PART • WIN $100
Shiprock is an ancient volcanic plug rising about 1500 feet above the desert in the northwest corner of New Mexico in the United States. It stands all alone in the desert and has intrigued me for decades. It has another feature that cements it on my all time favorite list of landscape photographic subjects. There are two main “wings” that extend several miles out from the peak, one to the south and another to the west. There is actually a third but it is much smaller than the other two. These are tall thin black dikes of extruded igneous rock and why the Navajo name for shiprock means “The Rock with Wings”.
The first time I photographed it was in the early 1980’s and I have visited it quite a number of times since. I tried to make drone images of it a couple years ago but high winds during that visit never allowed me to get off the ground and a year ago, Covid travel restrictions took away my opportunity. In April I tried again and when I arrived I thought I was going to be once again foiled by very strong winds. However, this time I had scheduled several days here just to try to get these images. Two days later, the winds were gone and I was there well before sunrise in ideal conditions. I made several compositions on both sides of sunrise with this being one of my first compositions of the morning.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your personal portfolio page and let us share it monthly to over 400,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your personal portfolio page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 400,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download 2 premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 48 images per year via our monthly assignments
• Upload and share up to 24 images per year via our picture submission form
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 24 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor