North America has four major deserts: Great Basin, Mojave, Chihuahuan and Sonoran. Of the four North American deserts, the Great Basin Desert is both the highest-elevation and northernmost of the four and has very cold winters. The seasonal distribution of precipitation varies with latitude, but temperatures limit the growing season to the summer. Vegetation is dominated by a few species of low, small-leafed shrubs; there are almost no trees or succulents.
The State of Utah has a wide range of landscapes from the mountains of the Wasatch front and Great Salt lake, to the redrock canyons and stunning stillness of the slickrock deserts. Three distinct geologic regions converge in Utah, the Rocky Mountains, the Great Basin and the Colorado Plateau find various points to meet and blend into one another with numerous transition zones allowing the mix of flora and fauna. Utah offers a wide range of natural diversity, from mountains, to canyons to deserts.
The photo above was taken at Dead Horse Point State Park, a hidden gem of Utah and mostly overshadowed by Arches National Park and Canyonlands National Park in terms of its geological features. For three consecutive days, each morning I visited this vantage point with the hope of sunshine rays to hit this martian landscape. On the last day, the fog that enveloped the canyons finally unveiled and this astounding view was revealed. A surreal and out of this world landscape of the red rock canyon with snow dusting in front of me. Breathtaking view, I will always remember!
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your personal portfolio page and let us share it monthly to over 400,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your personal portfolio page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 400,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download 2 premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 48 images per year via our monthly assignments
• Upload and share up to 24 images per year via our picture submission form
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 24 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor