TAKE PART • WIN $100
I have lived here for the past two years and photography has gone from a hobby to an obsession. The unique, varied wildlife and landscapes make the Islands a perfect place for exploring and photographing.
The Falkland Islands have some of the most remarkable sunrises and sunsets I have ever seen. It was on this morning that I could see the sky changing colour; I just had a feeling it was going to be an exceptional sunrise.
I was at home in Stanley when I saw the potential for a fantastic sunrise picture. I had in my mind to head a few miles east towards Cape Pembroke. I set out in my car from Stanley and headed towards Cape Pembroke; A short journey but most of the road is rough and quite treacherous.
Ideally, I wanted to be closer to the lighthouse, but the sky was changing quickly so I decided to jump out and start shooting.
Even with the last-minute dash and ruthless Falklands wind, I still managed to capture the lighthouse in the background and Tussock Island to the left of the frame. The sky was perfect; vivid, dramatic, and the clouds gave depth to the image.
I shot this as HDR using three images. These were combined and edited in Lightroom, but I have to say, the colours in the sky were remarkably close to how I saw it that morning.
I named this image ‘A New Dawn’ which sold at a conservation charity auction last year.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your personal portfolio page and let us share it monthly to over 400,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your personal portfolio page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 400,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download 2 premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 48 images per year via our monthly assignments
• Upload and share up to 24 images per year via our picture submission form
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 24 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor