TAKE PART • WIN $100
This photograph was taken in Cervinia in the Aosta Valley from Cielo Alto in the early hours of the morning. Sunrise in Cervinia is something simply fantastic to say the least, with a sky that gradually increases the shade of red around the majestic Matterhorn.The photograph was taken with a Nikon D90 camera with a 35mm Nikkor lens resting on a tripod. It offers a great resolution due to the power to increase brightness. I highly recommend using it early in the morning and at night. This lens is fabulous as it lights up colors incredibly even when you think you are getting a totally dark shot.The sky takes on these vivid hues due to a phenomenon called Rayleigh scattering; red light passes through while a small amount of blue and purple light is scattered and removed from the mix. The Sun, therefore, looks yellow for us here on Earth. I sugoset also to underexpose to enhance these beautiful effects. The best season to pick these beautiful colors is definitely spring. In a place like Cervinia there is no real spring as winter is long and summers are very short however in the months of April and May when the cold subsides and the weather improves it is easier to observe a clear sky free from clouds especially in the early hours of the day. The mountain is so magical, it offers a wonderful range of colors to be captured throughout the year, its soft and romantic dawn lights give great energy and great peace to the body and soul, there is no joy greater than being able to contemplate it.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your personal portfolio page and let us share it monthly to over 400,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your personal portfolio page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 400,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download 2 premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 48 images per year via our monthly assignments
• Upload and share up to 24 images per year via our picture submission form
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 24 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor