Each time I visit Acadia National Park, I start with a sunrise shoot along Ocean Path, a two mile trail between Sand Beach and Otter Point. Most times I start at Thunder Hole to create some images to compare to my efforts from previous years. Then I move to other locations, especially ones that get me close to the water. Here, you can play with long exposures while the waves roll over granite ledges. Over the years, I’ve found a half dozen or so spots I especially like.
On this occasion, I witnessed one of the best sunrises I’ve seen at Acadia. It was one of those times where the clouds lit up blood red in the dawn light and continued up to sunrise. As sunrise approached, I noticed a large cruise ship moving along the horizon headed to Bar Harbor. Its course would put it smack in the middle of my composition and the rising sun. Fortunately, it cleared my frame just before the sunrise.
I experimented with different exposure times and made multiple captures looking for the best wave patterns on the rocks. Usually I prefer landscape orientation for seascapes, but here the sky was so dramatic, I preferred the vertical shot. I left the image in its original 3:2 format rather than cropping it to the 4:3 format I usually like so that the viewer could see the gravity waves or cloud waves that were present. Since I was shooting directly into the sun, this image is a blend of two captures, hand-blended in Affinity Photo.
If fall color is a priority, early to mid October is the best time to visit Acadia. Many photo workshops are scheduled for this period. Spring is also a good time to photograph scenes like this without the crowds.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your personal portfolio page and let us share it monthly to over 400,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your personal portfolio page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 400,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download 2 premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 48 images per year via our monthly assignments
• Upload and share up to 24 images per year via our picture submission form
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 24 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor