I took this photo on one of my trips to the Greek island Chios. Volissos, a village claimed to be the birthplace of Homer is situated on the northwestern side of Chios. My hotel was situated by the sea, overlooking the beach. The landlady of the hotel was kind enough to rent me a room with an amazing sea view and a large terrace when she heard that I was a photographer and loved to photograph sunset, sunrise and seascapes. And the hotel had a lovely restaurant overlooking the sea from above. I took this photo there.
On the western side of the island, you have amazing sunsets and the sea looks like endless with almost nothing on the horizon. I wanted to picture this endless beauty and amazing pinkish orange color of the sunset. I believe colors get more vivid and dreamy when the exposure time gets longer. Therefore, I set my camera to an exposure time of 127 secs. For that I used two filters as there was still light.
And while the camera was shooting, I enjoyed my drink watching the beautiful sunset and colors. Colors of the same tones and hue with a silky sea effect always give me a calm, peaceful feeling and I always want to reflect that feeling to my photographs. There were no clouds, so I thought a long exposure would smooth out the sea and I could come up with a lovely pinkish orange and serene beauty with all the soothing, soft and warm tones.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your own portfolio page and let us share it monthly to over 700,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your own portfolio page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 700,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download 2 premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 48 images per year via our monthly assignments
• Upload and share up to 24 images per year via our picture submission form
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 24 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor