Valley of Fire is a wonderful landscape location full of arches, washes and colorful sandstone formations. Delicately finned rock abounds. In my opinion it rivals the more famous spots in the Vermillion Cliffs National Monument - the Wave, Coyote Buttes South and White Pocket. And it comes with several advantages. It is easily accessible by a regular car and only an hour north of Las Vegas. You don't need to compete for a permit to visit and, for a photographer, there are only a few recognizable features. Some may think the last a decided negative, but I think it provides a keen landscape photographer opportunities for original and compelling compositions, both grand and intimate.
On this trip, I was wandering between two adjacent canyons, looking for the formation called Crazy Hill. I came upon an alcove containing sandstone with a variety of colors and shapes, something Valley of Fire has in abundance. The sky had turned overcast, and the softer light allowed me an opportunity to compose a number of abstracts of the different fins. I spent an hour or so doing this, and this one is my favorite. I used my 90mm tilt-shift lens, though with neither tilt nor shift as the surface was relatively flat and parallel to the camera’s sensor.
The park has a campground, and lodging is available in nearby Overton. Valley of Fire SP closes at sundown, but in my experience the rangers are tolerant of photographers and allow for a bit of dusk photography. Please be careful around the finned formations. I’ve seen a lot of them damaged by careless visitors.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your personal portfolio page and let us share it monthly to over 400,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your personal portfolio page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 400,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download 2 premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 48 images per year via our monthly assignments
• Upload and share up to 24 images per year via our picture submission form
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 24 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor