Winter can have many faces – beautiful white landscapes against clear blue skies, dramatic and heavy clouds just before a snow storm, trees with frosty leaves, conifers aching under the burden of heavy snow - this season offers motives galore. When I headed out one day last winter, the conditions offered none of the above. Next to zero visibility, a grey and dull sky, and the fields and hills just covered with enough snow to hide all details, but not enough to provide appealing lines or shapes. After a few hours of wandering around with growing frustration and diminishing body temperature I found this lonely tree in front of a line of other trees. I took a picture of it, more out of desperation than conviction, and it was only back at the computer when I realized the potential for an abstract image. The dull conditions had swallowed everything in the foreground and the background. A bit of tweaking in post-production emphasizing the contrasts and streamlining the highlights brought out the essence of that day.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your personal portfolio page and let us share it monthly to over 400,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your personal portfolio page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 400,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download 2 premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 48 images per year via our monthly assignments
• Upload and share up to 24 images per year via our picture submission form
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 24 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor