I retired a couple years ago, and in 2019 my wife and I decided to take our first ever extended, cross country driving trip. We had been to Sedona, Arizona before, but only for one day, and she wanted to go stay for a while. For the first part of our trip, we went there for about 8 days.
As usual, I researched in advance for things to do and places to go for photography. One of those places was called Secret Slickrock, which is near Crescent Moon Park, and also near the house that we rented. Early in our visit, we went to scout the location, which is reached at the end of a short trail. We found that some depressions in the rock plateau there were filled with water, allowing reflections of nearby Cathedral Rock. I thought it would be a good place for sunrise too.
I started going back in the early morning, but the first couple times there were no clouds in the sky to create nice color. I got some shots that I liked, but thought that it could be better. We had a couple mornings where I knew the conditions were not favorable, but later in the week I tried again. I noticed that over the few days the water in the pools had been evaporating, but there was still enough to reflect the sunrise.
On this last morning at this spot, since the water level was lower, I had to look for a different composition. The one I liked the best was this double sunburst.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your own portfolio page and let us share it monthly to over 700,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your own portfolio page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 700,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download 2 premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 48 images per year via our monthly assignments
• Upload and share up to 24 images per year via our picture submission form
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 24 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor