On the slopes of the “Corno Piccolo” in the Gran Sasso National Park (Abruzzo, Italy), autumn colors have exploded. After an afternoon of looking for compositions, I found this spot. The humidity was really high, in times of high atmospheric pressure it is easy to find these weather conditions but after all it did not affect the shot that much. The sun had already set so I had the opportunity to photograph this scene with reflected light, without spot of light. I was struck by those 2 light trees that stood out against a darker background and framed by colorful trees and bushes.
I chose a vertical composition to include the slopes of the “Corno Piccolo”, in my opinion it creates contrast in the composition and describes the context in which that group of trees is located, they look like a community. While shooting I had some difficulties with the telephoto lens, not because of the wind, as you might easily think, but because of the damaged tripod head. I could not get sharp photos at those shutter speeds due to small movements of the tripod head, so I had to raise the ISO to shoot with an acceptable shutter speed. The car with my tools was too far away so I tried to do what I could with what I had before it got too dark. The Gran Sasso National Park is an excellent area for landscape photography, the best seasons to photograph it are autumn and winter in my opinion. It is possible to photograph a wide range of subjects: mountains, woods, lakes and if you want also the sea, the coast is about 50 km from the mountains.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your personal portfolio page and let us share it monthly to over 400,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your personal portfolio page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 400,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download 2 premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 48 images per year via our monthly assignments
• Upload and share up to 24 images per year via our picture submission form
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 24 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor