To get autumn pictures with a river in Belgium you need to venture out to the Ardennes, there are several small rivers most which wander through forests.
Not all of them are photogenic, but La Hoegne around Jalhay certainly is. The walking path along the river is about 5km and has a lot of photographic opportunities. If you want some quality time reserve at least a day and you will come back with a card full of beautiful pictures.
Autumn season was getting on its peak, after days of rain the forecast predicted an overcast day without wind. I knew I had to go out and take pictures at La Hoegne. The river would be nice 'thick' with water and the sun wouldn't pose a big problem with the contrast, so I left that day for my two hour drive to get there (yes Belgium is small, but still it takes some time to get to places).
I started walking the river downstream and took some pictures along the way. I was already quite happy with my shots, until I reached this spot which I saw from above (the walking trail is in the top right of the picture). I immediately saw the potential of this scene, that fern, the streaks that small waterfall. I headed down the trail, changed my walking shoes to my Wellington boots and proceeded with camera and tripod to stand in the middle of the river (it's not too deep). The framing was easy as I already envisioned the composition from above, from my previous pictures I knew 20 seconds would about right. Pushed the button and I was extremely happy with the result, that it was good for today. The rest of the river will be for next year.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your personal portfolio page and let us share it monthly to over 400,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your personal portfolio page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 400,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download 2 premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 48 images per year via our monthly assignments
• Upload and share up to 24 images per year via our picture submission form
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 24 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor