Introducing SIGMA’s second APS-C format zoom lens offering a large f/1.8 aperture throughout the zoom range.
• Technologies that realize Art line image quality in a zoom lens
• Outstanding zoom lens maneuverability
• Art line delivers high-level artistic expression
• New SIGMA GLOBAL VISION product lines are setting new benchmarks for image quality
• Launch: TBD
• Anticipated Street Price: £779.99
• Accessories: Case, Petal-Type Hood (LH880-02)
• Corresponding AF mounts: SIGMA, Canon and Nikon
A mid-tele zoom lens delivers prime lens-level image quality with a large F1.8 aperture throughout the zoom range.
SIGMA was determined to create a zoom lens that offers the same brightness and resolution as a fixed focal length lens: in other words, the highest level of optical performance and expressive power. The first result of this challenge was the SIGMA 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM | Art. In addition to fulfilling the exacting requirements of SIGMA’s Art line, this lens was the world’s first APS-C zoom for DSLRs to offer a constant F1.8 aperture value throughout the zoom range. Building on this concept, SIGMA has developed the new SIGMA 50-100mm F1.8 DC HSM | Art lens, a large-diameter mid-range telephoto zoom lens. While offering even greater brightness than a F2.8 telephoto zoom, this lens covers the focal lengths of three prime lenses in one package: 85mm F1.8, 105mm F1.8, and 135mm F1.8 (35mm equivalent). A true game-changer, this lens is ideal for portraits with subtle bokeh effects and more, and it sets a new standard for zoom lens image quality.
1. Technologies that realize Art line image quality in a zoom lens
• FLD glass, SLD glass, and high-refractive index, high-dispersion glass help minimize aberrations
To help minimize axial and transverse chromatic aberration, this lens features an optimal arrangement of three FLD (“F” Low Dispersion) glass elements, one SLD (Special Low Dispersion) glass element, three high-refractive index SLD glass elements, and one high-refractive index, high-dispersion glass element. By including one or more low-dispersion element in every element group, this lens ensures outstanding image quality throughout the zoom and focal range.
*FLD glass is ultra-low-dispersion glass that offers performance of the highest level. Highly transparent, its refractive index and dispersion are extremely low as compared to conventional types of glass. It offers characteristics very similar to those of fluorite, which is valued for its high anomalous dispersion. These characteristics minimize residual chromatic aberration (secondary spectrum), which cannot be corrected by ordinary optical glass, while helping to produce sharp, high-contrast images.
• Designed to minimize flare and ghosting
From the start of the design process, SIGMA measured flare and ghosting to establish an optical design that is resistant to strong incidental light sources such as backlight.
• Featuring a newly designed Hyper Sonic Motor
To achieve outstanding image quality and F1.8 brightness, SIGMA has enhanced its Hyper Sonic Motor (HSM). Optimizing the layout as well as the shapes of the individual parts, SIGMA has made the HSM 30 percent slimmer than before. In turn, this slimmer HSM has made possible the combination of F1.8 brightness and high image quality in a zoom lens.
• Diaphragm unit designed for smooth operation
The diameter of the diaphragm is the second-largest in the SIGMA lens lineup after that of the SIGMA 200-500mm F2.8 / 400-1000mm F5.6 EX DG, necessitating smoother and quicker operation than ever before. To achieve this goal, the diaphragm blades feature Carbon Feather film, and the diaphragm unit features a new polycarbonate made with fluorine. Thanks to these innovations,
diaphragm operation is exceptionally smooth even during continuous shooting, while the new polycarbonate is exceptionally durable and wear-resistant.
2. Outstanding zoom lens maneuverability
• Inner focus and inner zoom
Since its release, the SIGMA 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM | Art has been widely used for videography. Understanding that the SIGMA 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM | Art and new SIGMA 50-100mm F1.8 DC HSM | Art will often be used together, SIGMA has made the style of operation the same for both lenses, including the feel of focusing and zooming. Thanks to SIGMA’s inner focus and inner zoom technologies, adjusting the focus and zoom rings does not change the length of the lens, and turning the zoom ring is not prone to cause focus shift.
• Tripod socket designed for stable, comfortable operation
The tripod socket is compact, making operation more stable and comfortable during handheld photography. Parts with electro-less nickel plating help ensure the quality and durability of the 90-degree click stops and smooth switching between the horizontal and vertical position. The shape of the socket also enhances ease of handling and carrying when the lens is not attached to a camera.
3. Art line delivers high-level artistic expression
SIGMA is organizing all its interchangeable lenses into three product lines: Contemporary, Art, and Sports, each with a distinctive concept. Designed with a focus on sophisticated optical performance and abundant expressive power, our Art line lenses deliver high-level artistic expression. Offering astonishing rendering performance that meets the highest standard, they are perfect for landscapes, portraits, still-lifes, close-ups, and casual snaps. They are made for the kind of photography that unleashes the inner artist. A powerful ally in every genre of photography, SIGMA’s Art line lenses excel both in the studio for formal works and outdoors for impressive shots of architecture, starry skies, and many other scenes.
4. New SIGMA GLOBAL VISION product lines are setting new benchmarks for image quality
• High-quality design features
To ensure precise operation, internal parts feature generous use of metal and Thermally Stable Composite (TSC),* which is highly compatible with metal parts. The lens barrel is engraved with the year of release for instant access to this information.
* TSC offers thermal expansion characteristics similar to those of aluminum. Parts made with TSC deform less, making lens construction of extremely high precision possible. As compared to polycarbonate containing 20% glass, a commonly used material, TSC offers approximately 70% higher elasticity. As compared to polycarbonate containing 30% glass, it offers 25% higher elasticity. (Comparison is between SIGMA-produced components.)
• Evaluation with SIGMA’s own MTF measuring system: A1
• Made in Japan
• SIGMA USB DOCK for SIGMA GLOBAL VISION lenses (optional)
• 9-blade diaphragm
• Brass bayonet mount
• Mount Conversion Service available
For more information about the SIGMA GLOBAL VISION lineup of fine lenses, please visit the official SIGMA global website: