Assignments are brought to you by mpb.com
I set out to Leo Carrillo State Beach in Malibu off. My son, who was to visit from Dallas, asked me to shoot pictures of him at sunset making a marriage proposal. That seemed stressful to me. I’m not a ‘people photographer’. So, I set out to practice some long exposure photography to scope out the site. I tried some golden hour exposures as well as blue hour after the sunset. I felt this sunset picture was the best. The picture was taken with a Canon EOS R5, Canon EF L series ultra-wide 17-40mm lens and a Tiffen ND 10 stop filter.
In addition, I always bring my Canon 7D Mark ii with an EF L series 200mm lens to shoot photos outside of the main topic. I took shots of a young, newly engaged couple getting their picture taken by a photographer on a jetty near me. I was able to run a few practice shots with my 200mm lens and the 7D, Mission accomplished, but moreover great pictures of the sunset.
As far as the sunset picture, I chose the tightest, reasonable aperture, so f16. Going higher creates a fuzzy on the edges. While I took shots, I watched the wave sets as a surfer would. I wanted to catch a large wave smashing in and 'white washing' the rocks on the jetty in front of me. I was also happy that I caught the “edge” to create the radial sunset. In posting editing, I use LightRoom Classic. I made the sky gradient cold blue and the rocks gradient warm. I used high clarity, warm radials across some of the rocks for drama, and a soft white blur on the foam to accentuate the white.
Our $200 prizes consist of $100 cash and $100 mpb.com voucher
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor