Sikkim is a state in the North Eastern corner of India. It is from here the mighty Himalayas start rearing their sky-high heads.
If you go further North, you reach the sacred Gurudongmar lake. The Gurudongmar lake is an alpine lake, formed right in the lap of the Himalyas. It is said the great monk Padmasambhaba entered Sikkim from Tibet, and mediated beside this lake, which is why it is never completely frozen. Best time to visit would be summer, as in winter the roads might be closed due to chest high snow.
At a height of 17800 feet and temperatures of negative fifteen degrees, even breathing here feels like a real chore. Every step feels like a punishment, and the relentless wind does not help. However, the lake is a very well documented place in India, being the popular tourist place it is. My one agenda on going here was to come out with something unique, something which does not give out the location.
At first glance, it looked like the light won't happen. Chunks of dark grey clouds came hurtling down the Northern sky.
The lake is surrounded by huge peaks in three directions. These peaks, being as enormous as they are, blocked the clouds, which is when the magic happened. This particular peak already stood out to me among all the rest. Then, it was the patchy sunlight, the swirling rainclouds and the gusts of wind which made this image.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your Personal Portfolio Page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor