Assignments are brought to you by mpb.com
The Jurassic Coast in Dorset, England is full of places of geologic and photographic interest. My primary objective was to visit and photograph Durdle Door and Lulworth Cove. In the case of the former, I lingered a bit too long at breakfast and chose to hike along the coastal trail to the sea arch. I shouldn’t have been surprised to find the place full of tourists including a wedding party. West Lulworth itself reminded me of a smaller version of many American East Coast resort towns, chock full of visitors and it was only early May. I suspect winter would be a better time for landscape photography here.
I knew that adjacent to Lulwoth Cove was another cove known as the Stair Hole. After taking a couple of establishing shots from the viewing platform, I descended the hill to the bottom. From here, I was immediately struck by two features, a sea arch and a notch in the rock at the cove's western end, into which the sun was setting. I’m tempted to say I carefully planned my trip around the sun setting here, consulting the Photographer’s Ephemeris, etc, but it was just a very lucky coincidence. From where I composed this image, the stone beach forms a nice diagonal leading to the setting sun. From the hill on the right, you can see both Stair Hole and Lulworth Cove, making it a good sunrise location. Since my visit several years ago, I’ve read that the cove is fenced off to visitors due to a number of serious or fatal falls.
Because of the dynamic range of the scene, this image is a manual blend of two exposures using Affinity Photo.
Our $200 prizes consist of $100 cash and $100 mpb.com voucher
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor