TAKE PART • WIN $100
It was my second attempt to cross Sarek National Park, also known as Europe’s last wilderness. I enjoyed my last incursion so much that I repeated the same autumn dates in order to photograph the reddish and yellow tones on the plants. Unfortunately, this year winter came earlier than expected.
The beginning of the hike was nice. We walked over the taiga and tundra, made some harsh river crossings, ate some blueberries and photographed reindeer herds and nice landscape views. Everything was so nice until suddenly my partner and I found ourselves trapped in the middle of a windstorm.
After five days of non-stop heavy winds, rain and snow everything around us turned white. Somehow autumn left the place and winter was already here. I remember especially the moment when the mountain in front of us appeared between the clouds and a ray of light kissed the top of it. It was a magical moment but it didn’t last.
I remember using the tent as a wind-stopper and holding tight my camera. The whole of the mountain was shadowed by the clouds but suddenly a ray of light started so run from the foot of the mountain to the top. I knew that was the moment to press the shutter.
Those days winds reached 35 m/s and we were not sure that our little tent was going to make it through, so we finally needed to get rescued by helicopter in the middle of our hike. This photograph is one of the most treasured moments of the whole expedition.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor