Assignments are brought to you by mpb.com
Far out at the world’s largest baymouth barrier dune formation there was a forest. This forest was old before it died, and it's been dead for a long time. A hundred years ago, maybe longer, the ecosystem supporting the forest changed, and this White Cedar bog became dry. No longer able to support the moisture loving forest the trees succumbed to the arid conditions. Most of the forest now lays on the ground, above or below the shifting sand but some still stand, their trunks having been carved by the grit filled wind, a marker of an ancient landscape.
Early morning light is hard to get here. It's quite a hike out so I started out about 3 hours before the sun rose. I have visited this location numerous times but the conditions never seemed to match what I had in mind for the composition. This day was the winner though. A bank of scudding clouds were coming in off of Lake Ontario from the south, and with the rising sun to the east the alignment for a long exposure was ideal. I placed my tripod setup directly facing those clouds low to the ground in front of this interesting old cedar skeleton. I wanted to get a fairly long exposure and so I stacked a 10, and 6 stop ND filter, along with a circular polarizer to achieve a 4 minute exposure. Then it was down to waiting, (LE noise reduction is a killer!). I wasn't sure if it worked out until I got home but although the raw file was a little dark, it was well within the parameters to retain shadow detail. Satisfied that I had finally achieved an image in this tricky location, I celebrated by having a nap!
Our $200 prizes consist of $100 cash and $100 mpb.com voucher
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor