TAKE PART • WIN $100
This is one of my ‘go to’ trees when the snow comes to my area of North Yorkshire. I love the shape of the tree and the dale fading into the background gives the image depth.
This image was captured on a very changeable day, the squalls were coming up the valley and one minute it was bright sunshine and the next you could hardly see for the snow. It went very dark as a squall blew over, then the sun broke through a gap in the clouds as the next squall travelled up the dale lighting the tree perfectly as it came. Luckily, I had the wind and weather at my back which meant I could keep the lens relatively free of snow.
The snow in this part of the UK doesn’t usually last long so when it comes, I must be ready. Watching the weather forecast is a must in preparing for these conditions. Winter is the time for taking this scene, I’ve tried it in summer and for me it is far too ‘green’, you don’t get the separation between the foreground and background.
Farndale is a beautiful dale all year round and is perhaps more famous for its wild daffodils than its winter scenery, but for me winter is the time to be there. However, you will need winter tyres or a 4 x 4 to get into the dale, whatever direction you approach from it is a nail-biting steep descent to the valley floor and you still have to get back out again!
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor