Assignments are brought to you by mpb.com
On a recent visit to Millington Wood in East Yorkshire, I was struck by the fabulous colour of the autumn leaves on the beech trees. I visited the woods on an overcast day which proved ideal, as bright sunny weather would have blown the highlights, particularly as I wanted to take multiple exposures.
Rather than capturing the colour as a ‘straight’ classic landscape image, I wanted to do something more creative, so I took a ten shot multiple exposure of the scene. I moved the camera slightly and zoomed the lens between each exposure and also took one of the exposures out of focus to give a soft, more impressionist feel to the final image which was blended together ‘in camera’. Fortunately my camera is ideal for shooting multiple exposure images because I can see the image building up on the monitor screen as I go and I don’t have to worry about calculating exposure times.
Multiple exposures can be a challenge at times and the success rate can be low but they do make an interesting alternative to classic landscape. When you do get it right it can be very satisfying and rewarding.
Millington Wood is a local nature reserve and is particularly beautiful in spring and autumn. In spring the wood is carpeted in swathes of wild garlic and bluebells and in autumn the colours are spectacular. Because the wood is hidden in a deep valley and protected from the wind the autumn leaves fall slowly giving weeks of opportunities to capture the display.
Our $200 prizes consist of $100 cash and $100 mpb.com voucher
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor