As a designer, I was blessed with having an annual sailboat race client for ten years – The Figawi, a race between Hyannis on Cape Cod (in Massachusetts) out to Nantucket Island. I designed their 80-page program book for the Race Weekend over the US Memorial Day holiday each year. An extra bonus reward I got with the job was that for the race itself, I got to ride along on the press boat and shoot.
I've always considered myself a landscape guy and definitely not a sports/action guy. But it really was exhilarating to see these beautiful sailboats all around. So, I learned. And I think I've made some nice landscape imagery that just happened to have sailboats – and lots of ocean.
This image is from the 2007 race. Near the end of the race, as we were coming into Nantucket Harbor. It was foggy that morning when the race began, which turned hazy as it burned off. There was a very linear line of clouds, the sky was a beautiful pale blue, and I noticed an errant sailboat in the distance (not in race). And I made the shot. I often try to shoot a version (or a few) of my landscape images with negative /open space. I think it's the art director in me.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share your published pictures with over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see a sample
• We promote all your pictures to over 300,000 followers via our social media pages
• Download all new issues of the magazine
• Download all back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be forever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor