Assignments are brought to you by mpb.com
I am always looking for ways to simplify my photograph compositions where at all possible. This early morning, I was on a local beach waiting for the sun to rise. I was not very hopeful. It was low tide, which had uncovered the remains of the old groynes. A section of the sky on the horizon was clear of clouds and was red with a predawn glow. But a large area of the sky was shrouded in dark clouds. I knew that I would not have long to make my exposures before the clouds closed in.
I set up my Canon R5 with the 11-24mm f/4L zoom lens set to a focal length of 24mm near one of the old groynes. Where I was expecting the sun to break the horizon. I calculated exposure time of 30sec at f/11 at 50 iso. My composition was a simple compact view of the old groyne sea and clouds.
With the long exposure, I hoped to flatten the waves on the sea while adding movement to the clouds. After making a couple of exposures, I noticed a small bank of clouds, at a much lower altitude approaching quickly from the right edge of my frame. I thought this may help add an extra dimension to my composition. To make room for the new cloud bank I zoomed out my lens to a focal length of 11mm. I recomposed my image quickly and managed to make a couple of exposures. Soon the cloud bank had moved across the sky blocking the sunrise completely from view.
I was pleased with the few simple captures I had been able to make on this early morning, that had started out very unpromising.
Our $200 prizes consist of $100 cash and $100 mpb.com voucher
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor