Assignments are brought to you by mpb.com
Winter fog hangs silently over the Al Qudra Lakes, south of Dubai. It is my go to place over week-ends to find some calm away from the busy city life.
Early mornings is a beautiful time to be at the lakes. The fog and the color tones of the rising winter sun made this morning extra special. The islands of indigenous trees edged with the warm rusty winter colour of the water grasses blended well with the warm hues of the rising sun. The fog created a dreamlike ethereal scene and the cloudless sky reflected beautifully in the calm water. I needed to wait for the sun to be high enough to capture the moment the light illuminated the reeds.
I have been following a 'less is more' approach in my photography by keeping the composition simple and avoiding any distractions. A gradient filter was used to darken the sky and draw the attention to the the islands, the reeds and the fog. In post processing I added some glow to the area where the sun was rising on the right to enhance the atmospheric effect
The photo reminds me of the romantic era English painter Turner, who during his early years focused on the genre of landscape, but began to pay less attention to the details of objects and landscape and more attention to the effects of light and colour.
Our $200 prizes consist of $100 cash and $100 mpb.com voucher
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor