TAKE PART • WIN $100
In its relatively compact dimensions, Acadia National Park contains miles of rocky shoreline, ponds and tarns, forests and high hilltop vistas. While I enjoy all of its diversity, I am primarily drawn to its granite shoreline and sea cliffs. I always start at Thunder Hole and work my way down the Ocean Path trail. Among photographers, Boulder Beach is a big draw. Aside from the shoreline completely covered in water smoothed granite boulders, it is the closet beach or viewpoint of Otter Cliffs. Most years I have passed it by at sunrise because it is usually packed with photography tour groups jostling for position. This time, I decided I would join the scrum and see if I could come home with a nice image in spite of the crowd.
To my surprise, I was able to find an open spot. Before the sun came up, I shot several long exposures in the direction of the sunrise. Since the sky was mostly cloudless in the east, I looked towards Otter Cliffs. In front of me was a large rock on the water’s edge. Wet from the rising tide, it glistened and started to glow in the sunrise. By now the tide was at my feet, and a sneaker wave had soaked my shoes. A small price to pay I believe.
If you can do without the rising sun in your frame, dusk is a good time to visit. The beach is often deserted, and you can still catch colorful clouds or the earth’s umbra to add interest or wait for night skies. Spring is also a good time to photograph scenes like this without the crowds.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your Personal Portfolio Page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor