Assignments are brought to you by mpb.com
This photo was made during a pre-dawn visit to a local farm near the village of Odemira, in southwest Portugal. This is a place I had photographed several times before, so I was quite familiar with it. It is easily accessible, right next to the main road. Even though the house has been abandoned for a long time, the fields are still tended, mainly for growing wheat and raising sheep. The reason for visiting at such an early hour of the day was that I knew the full moon would be setting a few minutes before sunrise. This is one of those special occasions for landscape photography that can result in unusual photos.
Weather conditions are often elusive though, and as I was driving a thick coastal fog started to cover the region, making its way inland. Fortunately, the fog was occurring in patches, with some areas in the sky clearer than others. Waiting for my chance, I mounted a short telephoto lens on my camera, and framed the abandoned house with the full moon setting in the West. It only took a few minutes for Earth’s satellite to disappear behind the hill, so I had to work fast. Even though it was a late August morning, the early morning was a bit cold, and the ground was covered in dew.
In this photo, we can see some fog still covering the area, and creating a halo around the moon, which enhanced its strong colour. In the end, it turned out that the fog helped in creating a different feel, one that I had not encountered previously in this subject.
Our $200 prizes consist of $100 cash and $100 mpb.com voucher
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor