Assignments are brought to you by mpb.com
I took this image on a winter morning in the Lake District, a national park in the north-west of England known for its glacial ribbon lakes, rugged fell mountains and historic literary associations.
Sunrise had been a non-event, obscured by heavy cloud, and the forecast for the rest of the day did not look promising. However, as we drove along Derwentwater towards the far end of Borrowdale after breakfast, we noticed the mist rising off the lake and quickly pulled into the nearest carpark.
The mist put on a spectacular show for over an hour, hiding and revealing the peaks on the far shore and the little islands in the lake. I experimented with different compositions and focal lengths, working quickly as the mist was shifting rapidly. This was one of my favourite images from the morning – I liked how the mist swirled around the layers created by the ridge lines of Skelgill Bank, Causey Pike and Swinside, which were perfectly reflected in the gently rippled water below.
I added positive exposure compensation to make sure the mist did not result in under-exposure and used a 1.5 stop neutral density filter to retain detail in the sky.
A truly magical morning!
Our $200 prizes consist of $100 cash and $100 mpb.com voucher
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor