Assignments are brought to you by mpb.com
The southwest coast of Portugal, in the Alentejo province, is a region I have known since my childhood, and that I have been photographing for three decades now. More than the technical aspects of camera, lens, etc., seeing the area with fresh eyes and coming up with new ideas can be a challenge. One way of addressing this challenge is returning in different seasons and times of the year, as weather conditions will vary significantly. This photo illustrates this fact quite nicely. It was taken in April 2021, while visiting the area after the end of another Covid-19 confinement period.
After staying for a couple of months, being able to walk along the coastal trail near Almograve village was wonderful. Even if I had come back empty – handed in terms of good photos, just experiencing this pristine nature would have been worth it by itself. The weather had been shifting rapidly, with small periods of sunshine alternating with heavy showers. I knew these were potentially favorable conditions for the appearance of rainbows, so I kept an eye on the clouds and the sky.
In a few minutes I witnessed the sky becoming very dark, followed by a heavy rain shower that left me completely drenched. Then a bit of sunshine broke through the clouds, bathing the coastal cliffs in golden late afternoon light. I decided to make a few photos and had already set up the camera on the tripod when nature decided to add an extra element in the shape of a double rainbow. I focused my wide-angle lens and fired away, enjoying and admiring the show.
Our $200 prizes consist of $100 cash and $100 mpb.com voucher
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor